Monday, January 15, 2007

cold water tactics

We have been having an unseasonably warm winter this year. The result has been some outstanding fishing. I have been catching speckled trout in good numbers since Thanksgiving. The biggest surprise has been the presence of flounder in my usual trout spots. I have been catching just as many flatfish as trout in the last few weeks. The amber Devil Eye is still producing fish for me, but lately I have been going to both the big and small Mullet. Amber, Plum, and strawberry have been the "go to" colors, depending on water clarity. I prefer the small Mullet when I am getting a lot of flounder bites, They just seem to have an easier time getting to the hook. No matter which lure I am using, the retrieve has been the same. Light jigheads in both 1/16th and 1/8th oz. weights, bounced slowly along the bottom in 3 to 6 feet of water has been most productive.
The Stars and Stripes tournament scheduled for January 20th should prove to be interesting. A major cold front has blown in, and it will surely have the competitors scrambling to regroup with less than a week to go. I will most likely be fishing the same baits I have been using, only slightly deeper, and slightly slower. The fish will be lethargic at best, and a slow deliberate presentation will be the theme of the day.
I will post my personal results with photos next week.

Charlie

No comments: